Architecture

/ˈɑːkɪtɛktʃə/
noun: architecture
the art or practice of designing and constructing buildings.

The Church of St Paul in Brierley is constructed in the Gothic Revival, Victorian Gothic, style from local sandstone. It was built in 1869 to serve the growing populace with a local place of worship, the village was at the centre of a coal mining hot-spot and experienced significant growth in Victorian times. Prior to that the Church of Felkirk served the surrounding area which it had done since 1120 under the control of Nostel.

Brierley church was part funded by notable people of the local community and half funded by George Savile Foljambe, a local landowner and heir to the Savile family. The church features a number of references to the Foljambe's, notably Louisa Blanche Foljambe who died after complications in childbirth leaving a grieving husband in George who made a great number of dedications in her name across a number of churches, her ornate tomb lies at St Mary's Church in Tickhill, around 30 miles from Brierley, an excellent discourse on the subejct can be found on the Tickhill and District Local Society Website.

A modest church in size, St Paul's features a compact layout with no aisles, giving lead to access pews from the knave. The roof is fully supported by oak posts and crucks and therefore features no internal columns. A raised chancel area to the front of the Church is accessed by a single step gives way to a small sacristy with a long disused open fire that provides the church with its only chimney stack. At the other end of the Church is a bell tower with a clock and a raised organ loft which was added some time after the church was completed. The organ loft is an all wooden structure in contrast to the rest of the Church which is almost, without exception, sandstone.

External Features

The church sits on the highest point of land in the village and the spire can be seen from a good distance in all directions. It is a classic example of modern gothic and features little in the terms of decorative elements other than a number of ornate corbels, these feature a variety of faces; ecclesiastical and layfolk and a number of carvings insipred by nature, leaves and fruits.

The church is a standard cruciform arrangement with an entryway to the rear opening towards Church Street. It's alignment with the street makes it point in a more south-eastern direction than directly east.

Internal Features

The internal features of the church are modest and the walls are mostly bare sandstone, never having been rendered, some areas feature original wood carvings. The most striking feature of the church when you are inside is the stained glass, you can find photographs and details of that on the Windows page.